7 Beauty products to pack when going to hospital

If you read this post, you will know that I had an unexpected visit to hospital in December.

Unlike other hospital visits I have had, this one was an emergency and I only had enough time to grab what I needed within 5 minutes.

So what did I pack?

7 products to take to hospital

Makeup wipes

I had made an effort to put on makeup to attend my Dr’s visit (even though I felt absolutely dreadful) so I needed something to remove my makeup quickly and gently.  My face was so sore that using the Clarisonic was too painful (and still is), so I grabbed my Crop skincare Double Sided facial wipes as they exfoliate as well as soothe the skin.  These were the perfect addition to my bag as they were so easy to use and were completely fuss free.

Facial mist

The climate in a hospital can be very drying and going under an anaesthetic can wreck havoc on your skin, nails and hair.  I packed my favourite Puretopia Refresh & Balance facial mist to use as my toner and to also spritz on my face when I felt I need extra hydration.

Day moisturiser

As my face was extremely sensitive, I decided to only pack a light day moisturiser that could also be used in the evening.  The Dr LeWinns Line Smoothing Complex hydrating day cream reviewed here feels beautiful on the skin, absorbs quickly and doesn’t contain sunscreen (which was definitely not needed in hospital).

Serum

I use serum twice a day and I have gone back to my beloved Clarins Double Serum for the last month or so.  My skin always looks really fresh and refined so it is one that I keep returning to.  It featured in my May Favourites here.

Eye cream

Not a day goes by where I don’t use eyecream both day and night.  I grabbed my Kosmea Apple of my eye eyecream as it is easy to apply and nourishes the area really well.

Lipbalm

Even though I couldn’t feel half of my face (due to nerve damage) my lips were very dry and sore so I wanted a gentle lipbalm that could be applied regularly.  I am particularly in love with the Burt’s Bees Replenishing  Lip balm with pomegranate and will definitely be repurchasing when it runs out as it is a perfect all round lipbalm for use both day and night.

Handcream

Although I don’t need handcream during the day normally, the airconditioning and anaesthetic made my hands very dry.  I packed my gorgeous Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn Rose ultra-moisturising hand therapy for a little bit of luxury.

Plus I couldn’t leave home without:

Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and hairbrush

Obviously these go without saying although I didn’t have the energy to brush my hair on the first day!  If I had oily hair I would have packed dry shampoo as you often are too unwell to wash your hair for the first few days.

I also grabbed my pillow (which has my all time favourite SLIP silk pillowcase on it), my bra without underwire (a new acquisition that I do not know how I lived without) and a change of clothes that would have easy access  to my IV drip.

It was really advantageous that a few days prior to my admission I had read Jenni from Styling Curvy’s guestpost on Wendy Mak’s page about her hospital visit.  She suggested wearing a kimono style top so that your drains, drips etc were easy to get to and that was really solid advice.  I encourage you to read her post here about her cancer journey as she really is a gorgeous girl inside and out and has a wonderful blog.

I sincerely hope that none of you need this list in the near future, but hope that if you do need to head into hospital that it helps you in some small way.

Thank you to all of you who have contacted me to send your best wishes.  It really does mean a lot to me Smile

xx Kate

What would you grab in a rush?  Have I missed anything?

Comments

1. Christine says

We think very much alike! I always pack lip balm, hand cream and face wipes and basic skin care (usually just a moisturiser). Sometimes I pack more skincare products with the best of intentions but end up being too sick/lazy to bother with it. 😉
    Hope you’re feeling better and that 2015 is a nicer year for you!

• says

I am glad we have similar thoughts Christine. My normal routine is much more involved but there is absolutely NO way that I could have managed anything else. The products that I took served me well and I am now back to my regular regime.

I am feeling much stronger every day and I hope that 2015 is fabulous for us all!

2. says

Great list Kate and thanks for the link up. I loved rose mist spray, lip balm, hand cream and water…lots of water! The medications and air con are soooo drying. Oh and dry shampoo is handy too. Hope you are feeling better x

• says

My pleasure Jenni 🙂 We obviously have similar ideas when it comes to the essentials when going to hospital. Let’s hope that neither of us have to go back for quite some time! I am feeling much better now that my stitches have been removed. It feels quite weird missing the tooth but I am sure that in time I won’t even realise it isn’t there anymore. x

3. says

Glad you’re back and doing well!
    My partner recently spent some time in hospital as well, and even though I was just visiting (for majority of the day) my skin still felt awful after due to the climate so I can’t even imagine how dry your skin was. 🙁
    Great picks though, you did very well in just 5 minutes!
    Sweetaholic Beauty

• says

Thanks Jasmine – it is lovely to be back 🙂 Isn’t it amazing how drying the climate is in hospital? I think that my skin is almost back to normal now thankfully.

• says

I am doing really well now thank you Anna. I am almost back to 100% which is fantastic after more than a month of grief. I have to agree that oral surgery is the worst! I wouldn’t wish what I went through on my worst enemy.

4. MisFortune8 says

Dry shampoo would be straight after the toothpaste/brush, deodorant & hairbrush for me. I look like a homeless person if I don’t wash my hair at least every 2nd day. I always pack pyjama pants & a summer robe too, those hospital gowns don’t offer any coverage – if I’m in for observation, I don’t want every patient & visitor in the hospital to get to make their own observations.
    I’m glad you’re home now.

• says

You really made me giggle MisFortune8 at the thought of others making their own ‘observations’. A robe and pajama pants are definitely a must!

I am lucky that my hair doesn’t get very greasy otherwise I would have put dry shampoo at the top of the list too. There is nothing quite like being at home and having all of your products around you to make you feel much better after a hospital visit. I think I was in the shower for a good 15 minutes when I got home 🙂

5. CherryBlossom says

I hope you’re feeling better Kate. What an experience! Thanks for these tips, I always need a good hand cream, my cuticles and hands are so rough and dry.

• says

Thanks Cherry Blossom. I hope you don’t need to go to hospital any time soon, but if you do I hope my list helps a little x